January 28, 2009

Too soon?

So im not sure how many ppl know or not, but the other day, there was an incident in one fo the residence halls on campus. Long and short, one dude chopped off a chicks head in one of the on campus coffee shops in a dorm. Pretty gahstly, esspecially considering Virginia Tech has a small history of students snapping and killing people :p


Something that struck me as stupid was some comments/ letters to the editor from concerned partents. Some parents want to "ban asian students" from attending Tech, since both incidents were perpertratied by asian students. Personally, thats pretty stupid. But its sad how quickly people jumped on that as a solution. Other parents are telling their kids "not to make any friends with Asian students" or "to keep a distance from the Asians". Meanwhile, the university is bending over backwards shitting itself, because all those security measures they put in place to protect studetns really didnt stop homedude from hacking of this chicks head with a kitchen knife. It's made for an interesting week, to say the least.

But to hte point of my rant (other then keeping this place alive).  I'm sitting in class, and my teacher is ranting on about something. Is on topic, and he's doint it in a funny way. Its great. Suddenly, a student complains, and suggests the teacher might want to move onto the next subject. Ballsy student. The teachers reply "well, what are you gonna do, Chop my head off?". Class kinda goes quite, then about maybe half of us start laughing. I'm left wondering tho....Too Soon?

4 comments:

??? said...

Wow, I didn't hear about that at all! I understand those people's concerns, but I hate, hate, HATE it when everyone starts with stupid prejudices because of one isolated incident. All Asians aren't homicidal maniacs, people. WTF. But yeah, seeing as it only happened a day or so ago, that was WAY too soon to be making jokes about it. I probably still would've laughed, though - nervously. =P

Jacen said...

Holy FUCK! How is this not national news? I haven't heard a thing! I'm so sorry to hear about this. It's sad when people start pulling out the racial prejudice because someone of some ethnicity does something bad. Maybe too soon on the joke. I dunno but my best wishes to everyone up there.

Harri Conde said...

Hi. wow. this is some serious shit you guys like posting about...

Banshee said...

It actually happened last Wednesday... Bru called me in the middle of my D&D game to let me know he wasn't dead and to let the couple of Tech grads who I game with know that they might want to call anyone they know at Tech because at the time all the details hadn't been made public.

I might be wrong about this, but I think he said that the next day or the day after there was coverage about the incedent on CNN. I know one of my coworkers up here in Northern Virginia knew about it without me having to tell her.

What strikes me as particularly odd about the whole thing is that there were 7 witnesses to this event and somehow this kid managed to sever the girl's head with a normal kitchen knife of some sort. I realize that those can be extremely sharp, and I don't know the strength of the person wielding it... but it takes a great deal of force to completely sever someone's head from their body in less than two or three blows, even with things that are made for that sort of thing, such as swords. I find it difficult to fathom that this guy could either (a) sever the head in one blow with a kitchen knife, or (b) be left alone at it long enough to take more than one blow. Bru argued with me about this, but I still just don't get it...