May 21, 2009

Round one: Porter

The first of the St. George's beers that I tried was the Porter, since I tend to be a fan of Porters and Stouts.



Porters are at the dark end of beers. Tend to be smooth, and have less of a bite then most beers (at least in my experience). Often, like Stouts, Porters are made with  some chocolate or coffee or similar ingredient. Least I think so anyways.

At first glance, this beer was pretty darn dark. Night on black. The head wasn't much to write home about tho. Smelled like porter, maybe a hint of chocolate, hard to tell.

Sadly, it went down hard. There was more of a bite then I expected, to say the least. That was surprising and depressing. I don't like to associate bite with the darker beers. There was also a very unpleasant after taste, something else I don't normally associate with Porters or Stouts. Sadly, I have to rank this one rather low on the beers I've had. Oh, its better then any cheap beer, and at least half your non cheap beers, but it just wasn't quite what I want in a Porter. Whats even more sad is that the Porter and the IPA are the only 6 packs aside from the sampler pack that were available for purchase at the Farm Fresh that is the only place I know of off the top of my head that sells products from the St. George's Brewery.

And thus ends my first short review of the St. Georges Porter.

No comments: