May 25, 2009

Round 3: Nut Brown Ale

So, No posts the past few days, because I've no time to drink past few nights. Sorry bout that, but life catches up to you some times, and I don't always feel like downing a beer (or half a beer, whatever) right before bed. 

In any case, I debated a bit between trying the Nut Brown ale, or the Pilsner. I'd never had a Nut Brown ale, or any kind of Brown ale for that matter (to my knowledge). I've no idea what a Brown Ale is. I have had pilsners tho, So I decided on the Nut Brown Ale instead:



In anycase, poured myself and my Dad a glass (he's been going drink for drink with me so far, other then the porter). It poured well, and had a nice Head. Thats the first thing I noticed anyways. Either it just forms a head better then the other beers, or I was getting better at pouring. The color was similar to the Spring Lager, as you can see below


I gave it a good sniff (required of all beer snobs to do so), and noted taht what sent it had was faint and (get this) nutty. Big surprsie, right? It was also very mouthwatering. 

As for taste, it was surprisingly sweet. More so then the Spring Lager. And, not surprisingly, there was a nutty aftertaste. Not like peanuts or cashews, but more like walnuts or almonds ( I don't regularly eat walnuts or almonds, so it's hard for me to say which one it was the most like). I'd be curious to see what nuts go into the mix for the beer, but I figure thats one of those Trade Secret thingies (least ways I didn't see any ingrediants listed on the site). There was some bite to it, but not enough to make me cringe. 

As far as aftertaste, what little there was of it was actually kinda pleasent. The whole thing went down and tasted very smooth as well. I came out liking it very much. Best one I've had so far.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Newcastle makes a very nice Nut Brown Ale, the nuttiness comes from roasting I think, not actual nuts.

-Skip