May 22, 2009

Round 2: Spring Lager

So, the second beer i tried from the St. Georges Brewery was the Spring Lager. 



I've had simmilar "spring" drinks. THey all tend to try to be lighter then the winter ones (usually stouts), and I've noticed that summer drinks tend to be "ales". This Spring lager tho, was nice. I liked it.

First off, the color. It has this nice golden red. Not quite the red of Killians Irish, but, IMO, comprable. (see below for a crappy picture of said color.)



My first impression of the taste was a twang. I can't explain it better then that, but theres some distinct Umph in the beer the first sip you take. The flavor was close to being sweet, but not quite. It was surprisingly mouth-watering. It's been a while since a beer has done that for me. Unlike any and all Budwiser beers, this Spring Lager really had "Drinkability". There was a far less bitter bite to it then the Porter, which was also nice. I mean, I can deal with some bite, but not too much (say,  IPA too much). The aftertaste was different too, much different. What after taste there was for the Spring Lager (which was faint) was sweet, not bitter. So, another nice surprise.

On the whole, good beer. Not my favorite of all time, but it's up there. I always like it when the local stuff turns out to be good, and seasonal beers often tend to be among the best a given microbrewer makes. Good beer.

No comments: