December 16, 2008

A Question

Wow... it's been eight days since the last post! Well, I figured I'd put a post up with a little question for all you artistic people out there: What do you do when you have writer's/artist's block? Do you cry and throw stuff at the wall? Do you read your favorite book or watch your favorite movie? Take a stroll through the park and try to find inspiration in nature? Or do you just forget all about your artistic pursuits for the moment and then continue when the block goes away? I'm especially curious because I have an intense level of block right now, as well as an even worse case of boredom. I need stimulation, damnit! Got any suggestions?

And also, I'm trying to figure out why sexy scenes are so hard for me to write. Maybe because I haven't had any? >_> But I've never cut off someone's fingers with a katana or hang glided off a skyscraper either, and both those things came to me with no problem. Weird.

6 comments:

brutus said...

Sex is just hard to write about. unless you're my girlfriend it seems. She writes some pretty awesome sex stories.

as for write/drawer's block, usually, if i'm not working on something that is super important needs to be done asap, I look at my calendar. If my next big quiz or exam isnt too far off, I'll wait till then. For some reason, I always get the ...urge....to draw when something important that I should be doing pops up....:D

Oriphan said...

Music is an excellent source of inspiration.

It helps keep the mind focused, without being visually distracting. Also when drawing start off with practice scribbles. Get the hand and wrist warmed up. Doodling help a lot.

Try http://www.imeem.com

It's where I'm getting the music for the blog from. It's free, and you can make your own playlists. ^^

??? said...

Hmm... procrastination motivates you, huh? Actually, now that I think about it, I think that's a motivator for me too. I'll have to look into that... :D

Music definitely works... most of the time. Sometimes though my block is so bad that even my favorite songs don't work. That's when I start wanting to throw things. >_< I'll keep doodling and imeem in mind though, thanks!

Oriphan said...

actually...if you ask any pro artist, they'd tell you the same thing about doodling and scribbling. it helps loosen up your wrist before cracking down on a big project. Also it helps bring out ideas.

As for music...maybe it's time to explore something new? ^^
I heard Pandora is good for that. pick an artist and they'll play other artists similar. so you can discover other things out there. =3

oo and glad to help anytime. ^^

Harri Conde said...

Sex scenes - the stuff I'm writing at the moment is SOO EASY to write. My trick is to *ahem* try to keep it to things/tecniques you've done before, and/or are plausible.

Kei Trains said...

Hmm...well in this awesome Lair de Kei, it's pretty much plastered with art in here. When I need to be inspired, I look around the room and usually I get some help. I find music for me to be great when it comes to writing.

Sex...that's not for me. Like what Ori's friend yelled out loud at the mall that wonderful day, "YOU'RE STILL A VIRGIN!?!?!?!?!?!?!"

Not embarrassing =p